Friday, May 1, 2015

Pretending to be a Grown-up


I always wondered what would happen after I graduated from my university. I was flustered, and a bit lost without school. School has always been the natural progression of my life. Elementary school evolved to the junior high (which did wiped out my self confidence), but was incrementally gained back during high school. Soon enough, I graduated with a pretty good sense of who I was, but without a direction of where I was going. And school was gone. 



But now that day I thought would never come has come….and gone. When I was little, I thought college was always this far off date that I thought I would reach when I was old. At 22, let me tell you that you don’t graduate college when you are old. You graduate and then the world really opens up to you, presenting limitless opportunities. How daunting. 
Just one beauty of my walks to work


So now what? 


 I decided to get my feet wet in the grown up world, acquiring an internship with a pretty grown up company in Salt Lake City. I wear tailored pants. I take company lunches.  I even have an ID card with security clearance and everything. But to let you in on the secret, the key to being a grown up is pretending. I never thought I would thank my vivid childhood imagination and role-playing Harry Potter skills into my early twenties, but I do. As it turns out, these skills as a kid have really come in handy as you try and pretend to play grown up.  Pretending to play Harry Potter was a little easier, but there isn’t much difference in the skill set 


 I realized this fact of life as I helped younger sister #2 helped register for classes. It was late, she was stressed out, and proclaimed that she wasn’t ready to go to college. But that’s the ticket, the unpreparedness of it all. Being grown up doesn’t come with a handbook of rules, just loose guidelines from friends and family…. and frantic Google searches. Apart from that, it’s mostly an unwritten book for you to scribble all over.    
For now, this page of life is turned to playing grown up, but not too seriously. As far as I’m concerned, this time is meant for adventure. You have your whole life to be a grown up so I intend on a couple practice runs with several adventures in between. While my paychecks don’t have to go toward payments and bills, they are carefully stashed away towards my adventures. While work is very grown up (but still fun), what everyone doesn’t know is that lunches at my desk are spent looking up flights to south east Asia and research about mango sticky rice.  


 And I most definitely keep fruit snacks inside of my bag

1 comment:

  1. Emily I love your blog! I enjoyed reading this, it's true. I still feel like I'm pretending. I hope you have as many adventures as you can, and that you enjoy your grown up job in SLC. :)

    ReplyDelete